Saturday, December 11, 2010

How it all started.

I've been told on several occasions that I should write a book. I wouldn't even know where to begin. I think that is why I chose to blog. It will be good practice for me. Ok. Let me start by telling you, the gentle reader, a little bit about my background. 
I'm not a writer, so I didn't think I would be up to the task. I've always kept a diary, but that isn't close to the huge undertaking of compiling my thoughts and putting them in book form. Do I start when I was a child? It is, after all, the sum of all the parts that defines who I am today, right? 
Do I talk about my first husband? Do I make it a book solely about Roxanne, her Epilepsy, the trials and tribulations, near death experiences, fights with insurance companies, doctors, the many hospital visits? 
What about the death of her twin, Austin, and how I carry the pain with me to this day? This is a dilemma for me. 
Do I make it a book that comes across as though I am sitting in a support group, and it is my turn to 'share'? If so, what support group should I choose? Alcoholics Anonymous? Alanon? Adult children of Alcoholics? Bereavement Group? Epilepsy Support Group? Autism Support Group? Over Eaters, Perpetual People Pleasers....get my drift? 
I certainly have enough experience to know what it is like to be a child of an alcoholic, a product of divorce, continuing the cycle and marrying an alcoholic, having children at a young age, being a 'typical' co-dependent, divorced, remarried, losing a child, being the caretaker of a disabled child, living through tumultuous teenage years, and the affects it all has on marriage. At least our marriage. 
Add to the mix dealing with my own challenges, having had three back surgeries, needing future back surgery, living in chronic pain, all the while caring for Roxanne. How I made it through, and continue to make it through, I'll never know. I think it is God's mercy. No, I know it was. So, here we go.....

No comments:

Post a Comment